Schedule Change for My Sprint Triathlon Training

My Schedule Change
I knew that it would happen soon enough. My sprint triathlon training program that I was following was working, until my body reached a threshold. I was over-training! I have not been taking enough time off to let my body adapt and mend. Guess what happened? I came down with a horrible cold.

I have been sick now for a full week and it has zapped all of my energy. I have not had the energy to go biking, swimming, or running. I decided to not even try and I have begun to feel a lot better. In fact, I felt good enough today to train on the bike. I rode for 14 miles. I didn't try to ride at full speed, but I did ride about 70%. My last 2 miles I really let loose, though, and it felt great!

New Sprint Triathlon Training Schedule

I have decided to alter my training schedule once more. My new training allows me to rest more. The changes that I have made involve doing my full distances or more, but then I take multiple days off to rest. I will only train when I feel like I have enough energy to do the next event. Since I rode today, I probably won't try running 5k or more, until Wednesday or Thursday. I have decided to still do my mini triathlons every two weeks based on my original percentages, but my singe event training will be for full amounts or more.

Triathlon Training Schedule Change Conclusion
I'm glad that I realized that I was over-training so early in my training. I still have a good 6 weeks before the sprint triathlon, so I should be OK. If you have been following my sprint triathlon training schedule, I hope that if you decide to try it, that you make changes to it, to allow for rest. I can't stress enough how important it is to allow your body to rest and recuperate. I will keep you all posted on how this change affects my overall performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment